Monday, June 6, 2011

Mushroom Burgers

Most South African's, at least the one's I have meat during my 25 years living here, eat meat/fish/poultry with at least two meals a day.

That's a lot of meat.

I'm trying to eat less meat but its a tough task when the people you cook for look sideways at any meal that doesn't contain some animal product in it. Boyfriend even likes to eat salad for dinner sometimes - but only if there is tuna/chicken/bacon somehow incorporated.
Fortunately, boyfriend likes my cooking a lot so even if the dish contains something he doesn't like to eat he will still give whatever I make a solid try.
I was very excited about this meal. However, not only does this meal not contain any meat at all, but it's main ingredient is something that boyfriend hates.

Mushrooms.

For some reason I ALWAYS forget he hates mushrooms. It's not because I don't care about him or consider him when I'm cooking, it is purely because I love mushrooms so much that when I see a good mushroom recipe it just pulls me towards it and engulfs my sensibilities. Also, i think that I've developed some kind of psychological blockage that causes my love for this delicious fungus to somehow outshine all the memories I have of boyfriend piling his mushrooms onto my plate at dinner parties.

Whenever I forget he doesn't like mushrooms he's too sweet and kind to remind me about it at the time so he soldiers on through and eats it all up. Then he'll say something like "For mushrooms that meal was great!" and I will reply with a "doh, how did I forget AGAIN?" and then I'll be happy that I did forget and that I've helped further his journey along the path of mushroom appreciation. If he eats the whole thing and then says he isn't really a fan of the dish the story ends a little differently. But we won't go there because this meal was a winner so that's all that matters today.



Ingredients (for 4 burgers)
  • 4 medium portabello mushrooms, stems removed (I used 8 smaller ones and doubled them up on the burgers)
  • 1 finely chopped onion
  • 1 finely chopped green pepper
  • olive oil
  • 1 avocado, mashed
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 4 hamburger buns
  • cheddar cheese
  • Sundried tomato pesto

Method

Brush mushrooms and onion slices with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper

Under the grill cook mushrooms until tender, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once. 

Fry onion and green pepper 

Mash avo with salt and pepper. 

Spoon onions and peppers into mushroom cavities, divided equally. 

Cover mushrooms with cheese and melt under the grill.

Spread sundried tomato pesto and then smooth Avocado mixture on bottom of each bun; top each with stuffed mushrooms.

Cover with tops of buns. 




This is not an entirely original recipe but I can't remember where I found the one I used as inspiration. If anyone knows please holla and let me know.

2 comments:

Caylee said...

I laughed while reading this. I can relate SO MUCH to having a boyfriend who doesn't eat mushrooms. And I also always forget. We need to teach them the ways of the mushroom ;) Fab recipe too.

Candice said...

Thanks Caylee :)